Title: UW-River Falls
UW-River Falls

Falcon Daily

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Now you know

UWRF student Nick Zeien earned NCAA All-American honors for the third time in his career with an eighth place finish in the 800-meter dash at the NCAA national outdoor meet on Saturday at Marietta, Ohio, College.

Zeien, a sophomore from Hastings, Minn., finished in 1:52.33 to place eighth and earn the All-American honors. He ran a school record 1:51.08 on Friday to qualify for the finals. Zeien, now a three-time NCAA All-American, also earned the honors in the 800 in the 2008 and 2009 NCAA indoor championships.

Communications AwardHermes

Submit an item to Falcon Daily

Subscribe to Falcon Daily

Falcon Daily Archives

Feedback on Falcon Daily

Visions and Values Web site.

Strategic Planning Web site.

Academic Affairs:
• Excused class absences
• Class cancellations
• Faculty/staff searches
• Retention, promotion, tenure notices
• Governance committee meetings
• Grants information
• Graduate exams

UWRF home page

UWRF News Source

UWS in the News

"Legislators shelter UW System from more deep cuts," Wisconsin State Journal, May 23.

"Joint Finance: UW System must give back $7 million more to the state," Blog, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel,
May 22.

"Florida educator to be Wis.-Parkside chancellor," Associated Press, May 22.

"Some at UWM question plans," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, May 24.

"New rules on stem cells threaten current research," Washington Post, May 25.

"Chiefs Set Training Camp Dates,"
Missourinet, May 27.

To see news about the UW System from around the state, visit System’s clip sheet site to read the stories or to subscribe to the daily briefing.

On Wisconsin

The following is a digest of links to critical news and information sources for UWRF employees:

The Wheeler Report.
This is a daily listing of all news stories, editorials and press releases affecting public issues in Wisconsin.

WisPolitics.Com.
State public policy news with a political interpretation.

WisconsinEye News.
Wisconsin’s version of C-Span, with live coverage of the Legislature, with the State Supreme Court and Executive Branch soon to follow.

UW System Board of Regents Audio.
The Regents web cast their monthly meetings held on the first Thursday and Friday of each month.

UWS/UWRF Budget.
A handy index to the UW System executive and legislative advocacy information on our budget proposals, analyses, and maps, charts and graphs to support our positions.

Wisconsin Legislature.
This site contains legislators’ profiles, committees, bill digests, hearing schedules and links to Web casts of floor and committee discussions.

"He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough."

                           - Lao Tsu

Foster to leave Chancellor's post behind as Dean Van Galen begins Monday

Foster photo

This drawing of Connie Foster will join the other former Chancellors on the wall outside the Chancellor's office in North Hall as she prepares to step back to the Provost position when Dean Van Galen takes over as UWRF Chancellor on Monday, June 1. With Connie's move to Provost, Terry Brown will return to her former position as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Connie is set to retire on July 1 when Fernando Delgado begins as Provost. The drawing is by Benita Fernandez Close of the Financial Assistance office. Photo by Jens Gunelson.

Note of thanks

Dear University Community:

As my time as Interim Chancellor draws to a close this weekend, I want to extend a note of thanks to the entire campus community for your support. In a period of declining state support, this past year saw us educate and support a record number of students, while we made significant progress in bringing our strategic plan to fruition. These achievements would not have been possible if it were not for your skill and dedication. I send my best wishes to Dean Van Galen as he assumes the role of Chancellor next week. I am confident he will provide the leadership needed to ensure that we continue to serve as the learning nucleus for the St. Croix Valley.

Connie Foster

Announcements

Summer golf pass correction
The discount summer golf passes sold at the Involvement Center in the UC are only available to students, and not to faculty or staff. We apologize for the error in the May 26 Falcon Daily. Contact Matt Fencl at ext. 4289.

Upcoming Events

Summer Concert Series presents: Green Tea
Tuesday, June 2, 7 p.m., Summer Concert Series: Green Tea. Don't miss the first Summer Concert Series performance with this high-energy Celtic band. Grilled food and ice cream available for purchase. Contact Karyn Wells at ext. 4444.

Lunch & Learn: "The Kinnickinnic: Kayaking, Fly Fishing and More"
Tuesday, June 9, noon to 1 p.m, Room 224 South Hall. Presented by Paige Olson of
Kinni Creek Lodge & Outfitters, River Falls. Free presentation. Bring your lunch and relax. If you can join us, please RSVP by Monday, June 8, to elaine.m.baker@uwrf.edu. Sponsored by the UWRF Employee Development Committee.

Don't Forget

Classified employment opportunity: permanent Crafts Worker Supervisor in Facilities Management. Visit http://www.uwrf.edu/hr/cl_crafts_superv.htm for details and information on the application process. Application deadline is today, May 28. Contact Deb Schwab at ext. 3221.

Chancellor’s recognition awards nominations due by June 5
Honoring outstanding service to the University is an important tradition at UWRF. Nominations for the Chancellor’s Recognition Award for Classified Staff and the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence for Academic Staff are being accepted through Friday, June 5. Details of the nomination process are available at http://www.uwrf.edu/awards/. The announcement of the academic staff and classified recipients will be made in the Fall 2009.

UWRF spirit day is every Friday. Everyone is encouraged to wear clothing with the UWRF logo each and every Friday.

University of Wisconsin - River Falls
410 S. Third Street, River Falls, WI 54022-5001 USA (715) 425-3911
Copyright © 1995-2009 University of Wisconsin-River Falls

[Prev][Message Index][Next]