FalconDaily Archives

[Prev][Message Index][Next]

logo

Friday,
Aug. 24, 2007

Now you know

Collaborative research, student internships, organization partnerships and outreach courses are part of the plan for the new St. Croix River Institute at UWRF, and a $50,000 grant from the McKnight
Foundation will help make that plan a reality.

“In addition to helping us launch the institute, this generous grant enhances the University’s efforts to strengthen our position as the
learning nucleus of the St. Croix Valley,” said Chancellor Don Betz.

Formally established in 2006, the St. Croix River Institute is a
collaborative effort between UWRF and the National Park Service’s St. Croix National Scenic Riverway. The institute aims to increase understanding and promote stewardship of the river and its watershed.

The grant will help establish the institute’s outreach efforts, says Jill Greenhalgh, an institute steering committee member from Stillwater, Minn. “The McKnight funds will help us to create a solid framework as well as a sampler of classes for University credit, experiential learning programs, research partnerships and projects, and service-learning opportunities,” she said.

Kate Hanson, chief of resource management with the NPS St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, says that future partnerships made possible by the institute are vital as the St Croix River, with more than three million people in close proximity, is a significant tributary of the Upper Mississippi River.

“It’s great for the NPS to be able to collaborate with the University on this effort,” Hanson said. “The rich diversity of life found on the river bluff land indicates the quality of the St. Croix River eco-system. We need to monitor environmental indicators continuously to ensure that we keep the St. Croix in pristine condition.”

For more information about the St. Croix River Institute, visit
http://www.uwrf.edu/stcroix.

Submit an item to Falcon Daily

Subscribe to Falcon Daily

Feedback on Falcon Daily

 Visions and Values Web site.

Strategic Planning Web site.

Academic Affairs:
• Excused class absences
• Class cancellations
• Faculty/staff searches
• Retention, promotion, tenure notices
• Governance committee meetings
• Grants information
• Graduate exams

UWRF home page

UWRF News Source

UWS in the News

"Failure to pass budget makes state a 'national joke'," Wisconsin State Journal, Aug. 24.

"Virginia Tech issues proposals for security," New York Times, Aug. 23.

"Lawmakers still at odds on overdue budget," Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Aug. 24.

To see news about the UW System from around the state, visit System’s clip sheet site to read the stories or to subscribe to the daily briefing.

On Wisconsin

The following is a digest of links to critical news and information sources for UWRF employees:

The Wheeler Report.
This is a daily listing of all news stories, editorials, and press releases affecting public issues in Wisconsin.

WisPolitics.Com
State public policy news with a political interpretation.

WisconsinEye News.
Wisconsin’s version of C-Span, with live coverage of the Legislature, with the State Supreme Court and Executive Branch soon to follow.

UW System Board of Regents Audio.
The Regents web cast their monthly meetings held on the first Thursday and Friday of each month.

UWS/UWRF Budget.
A handy index to the UW System executive and legislative advocacy information on our budget proposals, analyses, and maps, charts and graphs to support our positions.

Wisconsin Legislature.
This site contains legislators’ profiles, committees, bill digests, hearing schedules, and links to Web casts of floor and committee discuss

 "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving.”

                                        -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

     DLC project construction nearing completion

DLC photo

Finishing touches are being done in a classroom area on the 11-building dairy complex at the Mann Valley Farm as the $9.3 million construction project nears completion in anticipation of the center's dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday, Oct. 12. Work began last October after nearly 15 years of planning. The farm employs seven full-time staff and nearly 40 students. For more photos by Jens Gunelson, visit http://www.uwrf.edu/photo_archive/ later today.

School year begins with Opening Day activities on Monday

Fall 2007 opens a year full of promise for UWRF. The entire University community has worked for months to prepare both our institutional strategic plan and the institutional self study for the Higher Learning Commission site team visit in April 2008.

And in early October we will host the UW Board of Regents meeting on our
campus for the first time in almost seven years. It is a unique opportunity
to extend our hospitality to members of the Board, UW System leadership and staff.

Importantly, it is also our time to introduce the Regents to “Living the
Promise,” our blueprint for the coming years. Join us for a discussion on these important activities and more on Monday, Aug. 27, as we begin the academic year with our Opening Day activities. Join us for the hospitality hour on the campus mall in front of the University Center at 8:30 a.m. with the opening meeting and lunch to follow in the UC.

 I look forward to seeing all of you.

Visit http://www.uwrf.edu/administration/openingweek/welcome.htm for a list of events.

Best Wishes,
Don Betz, Chancellor

Announcements

IT is pleased to announce new self-service features available to employees in eSIS. Forwarding Email & Evaluation Frequency – This feature allows employees who are leaving UWRF to enter a forwarding email address at which to receive their final pay statement. On this same screen tenured faculty may also make a selection that indicates the frequency with which their instructor evaluations are conducted.
Update Work Address - Employees are now able to update their work location and phone number. The campus directory, printed and online, will display this information from eSIS. Access both of these features through eSIS, UWRF-Human Resources, then HR Self Service.

It is recommended that faculty include the following disability statement on every syllabus:  "UWRF welcomes students with disabilities into the University's educational programs and activities. Students with disability-related needs for reasonable accommodations should contact the Disability Services Office (102 Davee Library; 715-425-3531). Before final decisions can be made to allow accommodation, students must provide documentation; see http://www.uwrf.edu/academic-success/ for further details." Contact Mark Johnson at ext. 3531.

To shorten Falcon Daily and to provide only new items each day, announcements are run only once. To re-read previously published announcements of the past two weeks, please visit http://www.uwrf.edu/pa/fd/welcome.php.

Upcoming Events

Wednesday, Aug. 29, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m., Room 280, KFA, Turnitin Session -- Faculty Development Workshop. Turnitin:  More than a plagiarism protection program. If you have been thinking about incorporating Turnitin into your courses, a workshop introducing the program's features has been added to the Faculty Development activities. There will be a demonstration of Turnitin's  plagiarism protection, peer reviews, and online paper grading capabilities (grade marks, rubrics, and more).
Contact Laura Zlogar at ext. 3537.

Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2:30 - 4:30 p.m., Hagestad Hall, Open House - Athletic Department and Global Connections offices. Please join the Athletic Department (123 Hagestad Hall, formerly the Leadership Center) and Global Connections (102 Hagestad Hall, formerly the University Bookstore) for an Open House to celebrate the move to their new office facilities.

Don't Forget

Classified employment transfer opportunity for Custodian 100 percent (Pay Schedule 03, Pay Range 08), Residential Services, 6 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Monday - Friday, annually. The deadline for submitting a request is 4:30 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 30. If interested, contact the Human Resources Office at ext. 3221 to request a position description for specific duties and knowledge, skills, and abilities. To apply, complete a Job Transfer Request found at http://www.uwrf.edu/hr/forms/JOB%20TRANSFER%20REQUESHCWEB.pdf.
The recruiting process on campus for Custodian is as follows:  1. Interested individuals whose classification is identical to the title of the vacancy are contacted in seniority order to interview (i.e., a current Custodian for a Custodian vacancy).  2.  If no one in the same title is interested, then interested individuals in the same or higher pay range are considered; however, it is management's option to interview prior to obtaining the outside list or to consider as additional names to the outside list.

[Prev][Message Index][Next]