ACADEMIC-AFFAIRS Archives

academic-affairs

ACADEMIC-AFFAIRS@LISTS.UWRF.EDU

From:
Angela Sylla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2017 08:48:05 -0500
announcement: Approved 9.13.17
September 9, 2017
TO:  UWRF Colleagues
RE:  Off-Campus, University-Sanctioned Event
FROM:  David Zlesak Plant and Earth Science
The Plant and Earth Science Department is sponsoring an off-campus activity and a student in your course might miss class time.  The offices of the Provost and the Associate Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs require that students provide this notice to you no later than one week prior to their scheduled activity to be in compliance with appropriate policies.  Your consideration in allowing them to complete course assignments and work in compliance with these university’s policies* is appreciated.  Thank you for your support and cooperation.  Additional details are below.
Dates & Times (“activities should not be scheduled during the final exam period or one week prior to final examinations”): Thursday October 19, 2017   8AM-noon
Activity: For the Woody Landscape Plants course (HORT352) we will be going to Bailey Nurseries in Cottage Grove, MN to their collection gardens to see examples of cutting edge cultivars of the species we are learning.  We will then go to Gerten’s Greenhouse in Inver Grove Heights, MN to see plants we have been learning in the retail setting, learn what is popular and sells, how plants are cared for in the retail setting, and the balance for such a nursery to shuffle plants between retail and wholesale customers/outlets.
Academic Rationale for Absence: The students will benefit from experiencing more cutting edge and commercial facilities and more about the issues surrounding getting the species we learn about and observe as maturing plants in campus landscapes  get to customers.  Many students will go into sales and landscaping, so having a greater perspective of what is new, what is selling, and the relative sizes and appearances of the species as young plants will be very valuable.
Faculty Contact Information:
1.	Campus Address:  305 Agricultural Science
2.	Office Phone Number:  4415
3.	Email: [log in to unmask]
Participating Students: Please provide a list of the students who are participating in this activity:
Caitlin Johnson
Daniel Ehret
Erik Swenson
Jamie Gilbertson
Jonathan Swast
Jonathan Wagaman
Kelli Hough
Kelly Conley
Kendall Keegan
Kirsten Sendelbach
Kyle Semann
Max Nissen
Rachel Mohrbacher
Sarah LaFreniere
Sierra Hau
Trent Mahoney
Tyler Quale
Zach Beyer
Submit this completed form to [log in to unmask] for consideration by the office of the associate vice chancellor for academic affairs.
8.2.11 University Sponsored Off-campus Activities and Field Trips: Students will not be penalized for missing class in order to participate in University sanctioned events. If class attendance is a requirement, missing a class in order to participate in a University-sanctioned event will not be counted as an absence. Such absences do not relieve the students of any of their class responsibilities (e.g., homework, exams, lecture notes, etc.). Students are responsible for completing course requirements that are due on the dates of University-sanctioned events per prior agreement with the instructor. A University-sanctioned event is defined to be any extracurricular event (e.g., educational field trips or conferences, theatrical performances, intercollegiate athletic contests, musical performance or tours, etc.) as approved by the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
http://www.uwrf.edu/FacultySenate/Handbook/Chapter8/

email: [log in to unmask]