Falcon Daily Archives

[Prev][Message Index][Next]

FALCON DAILY

Friday, April 27, 2012

"We must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately.” --Benjamin Franklin

Plant sale continues today

Rebecca Claflin, left, a senior horticulture major and Breanne McCay, a junior horticulture major, work at the plant sale Thursday afternoon outside of the UC. The sale continues through 4 p.m. today. Photo by Kathy M. Helgeson.

Announcements

Water off in North and South Halls on Monday morning
Due to the Cascade Project, water will be shut off to North Hall and South Hall on Monday, April 30, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Contact Facilities Management at 3827.

McNair Scholars Senior Recognition and Awards event is Monday

Please join us at the 12th Annual McNair Scholars Senior Recognition and Awards to celebrate the accomplishments of our graduating seniors on Monday, April 30, in the UC. The reception and poster display is from 3:30-4 p.m. in the St. Croix Room;  the awards program from 4:15-5:15 p.m. in the Kinnickinnic Theater. The McNair recognition is open to the entire campus, and an R.S.V.P. is not necessary to attend. Please join us in celebrating these scholars and their faculty mentors:  Felicha Colbeth, Katie Holmes, Marissa Holst, Charles Hunter IV, April Huseby, Erikka Korpi, Cassandra Saunders, Samantha Wagner, Cory Windorff, Michael Woodward, Phoua Yang, Jelisia Dixon, Nene Eze, Rebecca Roepke. Contact njia.lawrence-porter@uwrf.edu.

Celebrate our graduating veterans

Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to stop by the Veteran Services Office in 220 SH on Thursday, May 3, between 1-3 p.m. to recognize our graduating veterans and/or dependents. Coffee and light refreshments will be provided. For more information, email veterans@uwrf.edu.

Advisor needed

Falcon Cheer and Stunt is looking for an advisor for the 2012-13 academic year. Our current advisor is leaving at the end of the year, so we are in need of a faculty member to fill the position. Cheer experience is not needed. For more information or if interested, email taylor.campbell@my.uwrf.edu.

Upcoming Events

Saturday, April 28, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Mann Valley Farm, CAFES spring compost sale. Cost is $30/yard. Additional sale dates are Thursday, May 3, from 4-7 p.m. and Saturday, May 5, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Cost is $30/yard. Contact the CAFES Dean's Office at 3535 or email ethan.siem@my.uwrf.edu.

Saturday, April 28, 2 p.m., softball vs. UW-La Crosse. DH. Hit for Lupus Day.

Saturday, April 28, 5 p.m., UC, Campaign Preview. The event will feature musical performances by the Autumn Serenade barbershop quartet and the UWRF chamber singers. The UWRF history display and student research projects will be exhibited and the university will be announcing priorities for endowed and annual scholarships, professorships, colleges and units, and a $2 million goal as part of the state requirement to fund the Falcon Center - UWRF's soon to be constructed health and human performance building. For more information, call 3505 or visit http://www.uwrf.edu/RisingtoDistinction/.

Saturday, April 28, 7:30 p.m., Abbott Concert Hall, KFA, RADD Jazz:  "Universal Language VIII." Featuring the UWRF Jazz Ensemble and guest artist Babatunde Lea, master drummer/percussionist. Free and open to the public. Contact david.a.l.milne@uwrf.edu.

Sunday, April 29, noon, softball vs. UW-Platteville. DH. Senior/Parents Day.

Sunday, April 29, 3 p.m., Abbott Concert Hall, KFA, Spring Choral Concert: "Songs Around the World." Directed by Lesa Jacobsen, Peter Benson, and Jong-Won Park. Tickets available at the door. Admission is $5/adults, $3/seniors, $2/students. Contact the Music Department at 3183.

Sunday, April 29, 7:30 p.m., Abbott Concert Hall, KFA, Woodwind Ensembles and Guitar Ensembles Concert. Contact the Music Department at 3183.

 Sunday, May 6, 7:30 p.m., Abbott Concert Hall, KFA, Senior Recital:  David Herdan on Saxophone. Contact the Music Department at 3183.

Don't Forget

Friday, April 27

*  9 a.m.-4 p.m., north patio, UC, Horticulture Society:  Annual Plant Sale. Hanging baskets, patio pots and flowering potted plants for Mother’s Day, wide selection of annuals, vegetables and perennials for the yard and garden. UWRF locally grown plants. Contact terry.l.ferriss@uwrf.edu.

*  7:30 p.m., Abbott Concert Hall, KFA, Student Recital:  Rachel Lonetti on Piano. Contact the Music Department at 3183.

*  7:30 p.m., Davis Theatre, KFA, University Theatre:  "Richard III." Historical play by William Shakespeare set in the present day. While the text is trimmed, the traditional language is retained. All performances are free. Everyone welcome. Seating is reserved, so a ticket is needed. Box Office hours in KFA are 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on the nights of the performances. Contact the Box Office at 3114. Last performance is April 28.

Education News

"New student transfers surge in UW System," Business Journal of Milwaukee, April 25.

"Education slowdown threatens U.S.," Wall Street Journal, April 26.

"Political battle over student loans heating up," Associated Press, April 26.

To view news about the UW System from around the state, visit System’s clip sheet site to read the stories or to subscribe to the daily briefing.

Falcon Daily is an e-newsletter sent to all UW-River Falls faculty, academic and classified staff and off-campus subscribers weekday mornings during the academic year and on Tuesday and Thursday mornings during the summer. Submit items for possible inclusion to falcondaily-submit@uwrf.edu or directly to editor deb.toftness@uwrf.edu.

[Prev][Message Index][Next]