Falcon Daily Archives

[Prev][Message Index][Next]
Title: UW-River Falls
UW-River Falls

Falcon Daily

Friday, Oct. 8, 2010

Message from Chancellor Van Galen

In recent weeks, a series of suicides by gay (LGBTQ) youth, including college students, has impacted many communities and campuses around the nation. The circumstances of those and other suicides have also called national attention to the consequences of bullying. My sympathies are with the many family members, friends and community members affected by these tragedies.

Our campus has recently experienced homophobic and anti-gay graffiti in the form of chalking on university sidewalks. I ask that we pause and reflect on the core values of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, including those of inclusiveness, mutual respect and civility. By embracing these core values, we commit ourselves to ensuring that all students, faculty and staff feel safe and free to express who they are as individuals. Discrimination, prejudice and harassment in any form prevent us from fulfilling the university’s mission of helping students learn.

If you are affected by harassment or discrimination, or know someone on campus who is, I urge you to contact the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion located in 117 North Hall or call 3833. You may also report any bias incident at  http://www.uwrf.edu/EquityDiversityInclusion/incident.cfm.

Counseling Services, located in 211 Hagestad Hall, is also available to students in need of support. Counseling Services staff can be reached at 3293. If you know of anyone exhibiting any indication that they may be a danger to themselves or to others, contact Student Affairs at 4444, ext. 114, or University Police at 3133.

Please do not be a bystander and allow our campus community to become a place where negative words and hate are acceptable. Every member of our campus community has the right to live, work and study in a safe environment.

On Monday, Oct. 12, the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) student organization is planning to celebrate National Coming Out Day. I encourage every member of our campus to support students involved in GSA and in other organizations that affirm our commitment to having an inclusive campus community at UW-River Falls.

University of Wisconsin - River Falls
410 S. Third Street, River Falls, WI 54022-5001 USA (715) 425-3911
Copyright © 1995-2009 University of Wisconsin-River Falls

[Prev][Message Index][Next]