FalconDaily Archives

[Prev][Message Index][Next]
Title: UW-River Falls

UW-River Falls

Falcon Daily

Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2009

Now you know

Today, besides being Veteran's Day, is also Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Day. In 1921, President Warren
Harding dedicated the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington
National Cemetery.

The Guard takes 21 steps
during his walk across the Tomb of the Unknown; it alludes to
the 21-gun salute, which is the highest honor given any military or foreign dignitary. There has been a Sentinel on duty in front of the Tomb of the Unknown every minute of every day since 1937.

Communications AwardHermes

Submit an item to Falcon Daily

Subscribe to Falcon Daily

Falcon Daily Archives

Feedback on Falcon Daily

Visions and Values Web site.

Strategic Planning Web site.

Academic Affairs:
• Excused class absences
• Class cancellations
• Faculty/staff searches
• Retention, promotion, tenure notices
• Governance committee meetings
• Grants information
• Graduate exams

UWRF home page

UWRF News Source

UWS in the News

"Board of Regents honors Wis. Educators,” Badger Herald, Nov. 9.

"Doyle signs education reform bills; awaits action on MPS measure,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Nov. 9.

"Officials look back on results of Plan 2008,” Daily Cardinal, Nov. 10.

"Local UW campus celebrates cultural diversity,” Marshfield News-Herald, Nov. 10.

"UW-L looks to diversify faculty,” La Crosse Tribune, Nov. 10.

To see news about the UW System from around the state, visit System’s clip sheet site to read the stories or to subscribe to the daily briefing.

On Wisconsin

The following is a digest of links to critical news and information sources for UWRF employees:

The Wheeler Report.
This is a daily listing of all news stories, editorials and press releases affecting public issues in Wisconsin.

WisPolitics.Com.
State public policy news with a political interpretation.

WisconsinEye News.
Wisconsin’s version of C-Span, with live coverage of the Legislature, with the State Supreme Court and Executive Branch soon to follow.

UW System Board of Regents Audio.
The Regents Web cast their monthly meetings held on the first Thursday and Friday of each month.

UWS/UWRF Budget.
A handy index to the UW System executive and legislative advocacy information on our budget proposals, analyses, and maps, charts and graphs to support our positions.

Wisconsin Legislature.
This site contains legislators’ profiles, committees, bill digests, hearing schedules and links to Web casts of floor and committee discussions

"Freedom is never free."

                                        -- Unknown

Routine maintenance extends building life

Brick upkeep photo

The unseasonably warm weather is appreciated this time of year especially by the crew doing routine maintenance on the exterior brick of the KFA building. The repair work extends the life of the building as old caulk is removed from expansion joints before the joint is  resealed. Similar work to the exterior of the Davee Library and the Ag Science building will be done as the weather allows. Photo by Jens Gunelson.

Everyone urged to complete Campus Climate Survey

If you have not done so, I encourage you to please take the time to join me in completing the Campus Climate Survey. I believe this is a very valuable tool to assess the social and professional environment and to steer the future of our campus.

Your input is critical, and this is your chance to be heard. The survey has been designed to be anonymous so you should feel comfortable sharing your opinions and ideas. The data is collected and will be analyzed by an independent assessment firm, Rankin and Associates Consulting, so there is no conflict of interest and objectivity is assured.

With less than a month to go, we are at a critical juncture. So far, about 30 percent of faculty, staff and students have completed the survey. Many who have completed the survey are from administrative and staff ranks, so we are urging faculty and students to take time from their busy schedules to share their comments and concerns, along with the positives.

The survey is easy to access from the University’s homepage. It takes about 30 minutes or less to complete. Your voice is critical to improving our campus environment for everyone. Please accept my genuine thanks for your input in this important matter as we move forward toward a bright future for our campus.

Dean Van Galen
Chancellor

Announcements

Rental regalia for December graduation
Faculty who need to rent regalia for the December graduation ceremony should contact the Falcon Shop and place your order by 4 p.m., Friday, Nov. 13. Contact Sherry at ext. 3962.

Student interviews for Monday
Throughout the year companies and organizations are interested in coming to campus to perform on-campus interviews to hire for full-time positions and internships. On Monday, Nov. 16, Chase Brakke from North Star Resource Group will be interviewing in Career Services for financial advisor positions. The company hires all majors. If you have interested students, encourage them to visit Hire-a-Falcon to sign up for a Monday interview. Brakke is also interested in going to lunch with any interested faculty when he is on campus. Email caitlin.conley@uwrf.edu if you are interested in having lunch with Brakke.

Chief Diversity Officer Search Committee meeting
The Chief Diversity Officer Search Committee will meet Tuesday, Nov. 17, at 3 p.m. in Room 140, KFA. Contact Terry Brown at ext. 3777.

H1N1 vaccine walk-in community clinics
Pierce County Public Health Department has scheduled two walk-in community H1N1 vaccine clinics for persons in the targeted high risk groups:
* Pregnant women
* Those living with or providing care for children under six months old
* Healthcare/EMS workers with direct contact with patients or infectious materials
* Children six months through four years of age
* Children 5-18 years old with medical conditions placing them at higher risk

These clinics are scheduled for Monday, Nov. 16, from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Seyforth Building at the Pierce County Fairgrounds in Ellsworth and on Thursday, Nov. 19, from 3 to 6 p.m. at the Saint Bridget Catholic Church fellowship hall in River Falls.

Pierce County Public Health Department also also has a limited supply of injectable seasonal influenza vaccine for adults. Any adult wishing to receive a seasonal flu shot should call them at 715-273-6755 to schedule an appointment.

Due to limited amounts and types of H1N1 vaccine the Wisconsin Division of Public Health has further limited the targeted groups to receive H1N1 vaccine to the above groups. This will likely change as more vaccine becomes available.

For updates and more information, visit the UWRF Emergency Preparedness H1N1 Web page at http://www.uwrf.edu/emergency/flu.html. Contact Student Health Services at ext. 3293 with questions.

Upcoming Events

Thursday, Nov. 12, 7:30 p.m., Abbott Concert Hall, A Benny Goodman Centennial Celebration. The UWRF RADD Jazz Series presents the UWRF Jazz Ensemble, directed by David Milne, performing the music of jazz clarinetist and band leader Benny Goodman, featuring faculty member Pat O'Keefe on clarinet. Free and open to the public. Contact  Milne at ext. 3940.

Wednesday, Nov. 18, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., Karges racquetball courts, Pro Racquetball Clinic. Free. The Racquetball Club is bringing two pro racquetball players to put on a clinic. For more information and to register, visit http://www.uwrf.edu/racquetball or email the club president at sara.lake@uwrf.edu.

Don't Forget

Wednesday, Nov. 11

*  11 a.m., flag pole on west lawn of North Hall, Veteran's Day Program. Contact Nicole Lillis at ext. 3529.

*  1 - 3 p.m, North Hall Conference Room, Faculty Senate Executive Committee meeting. Contact David Rainville at ext. 3654.

*  3 - 4 p.m., upper level breezeway, Davee Library, Lion's Paw Book Club: "The Map of Love" by Ahdaf Soueif. Discussion leader is Sue Beckham, UW-Stout Department of English emerita. All are welcome and you need not have read the book to attend. Visit http://uwrf.edu/library/lionspaw/ for more information. Contact cate.dodson@uwrf.edu.

*  4 - 7:30 p.m., Riverside Commons, UC, Thanksgiving Premium Night Dinner. Join us for some traditional Thanksgiving food. Cost is free/Meal Plan; $8.44/dining or Falcon dollars; $9.37/cash. Contact nickolas.vance@sodexo.com.

*  6 - 9 p.m., North Hall auditorium, Culture Fest. See performances, talents, a fashion show and a play performed by students of different cultures here at UWRF. Free and open to the public. Refreshments and snacks will be provided. Contact bhao-nhiang.thao@uwrf.edu.

Helping Hands Across America:  Make a donation to help fight hunger in our community. Please bring in non-perishable canned food items now through Thursday, Nov. 12. Place canned food items in donation bins located in Riverside Commons, Retail Food Court or Freddy’s in the UC. Purchase a helping hand at any retail cashier location. All donations will be used towards the purchase of canned foods for the Community Food Pantry.

Classified employment opportunity:  permanent Buildings/Grounds Supervisor vacancy in Facilities Management. Visit http://www.uwrf.edu/hr/employment_opportunities.htm to view  position details and the application process. Application deadline is Friday, Nov. 13. Contact Deb Schwab at ext. 3221.

University of Wisconsin - River Falls
Office of University Communications, (715) 425-3771
410 S. Third Street, River Falls, WI 54022-5001 USA
Copyright © 1995-2009 University of Wisconsin-River Falls

[Prev][Message Index][Next]