Title: UW-River Falls
UW-River Falls

Falcon Daily

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Now you know

A group of faculty and staff attended the Desire2Learn Fusion 2009 User Conference July 13 - 15 in St. Paul, thanks to a UWRF Title III grant.  Dan Semi and Mary-Alice Muraski presented workshops at the conference for the fifth year in a row.

Attending from UWRF included Tony Varghese, Dan Semi, Kris Tjornehoj,  E. Katherine Miller, Mary-Alice Muraski, Rose Rude, and Mialisa Moline. They are planning a sharing session during fall opening week activities to spotlight what they learned.

The Title III grant, "Stronger Together: An Educational Partnership for the Changing Economy," is a joint project between UWRF and CVTC.

Communications AwardHermes

Submit an item to Falcon Daily

Subscribe to Falcon Daily

Falcon Daily Archives

Feedback on Falcon Daily

Visions and Values Web site.

Strategic Planning Web site.

Academic Affairs:
• Excused class absences
• Class cancellations
• Faculty/staff searches
• Retention, promotion, tenure notices
• Governance committee meetings
• Grants information
• Graduate exams

UWRF home page

UWRF News Source

UWS in the News

"Ideas for classroom sown as teachers tour farm," Eau Claire Leader-Telegram, July 15.

"Jackhammer U: Campus construction blitz under way," Wisconsin State Journal, July 15.

"Money on their minds," Inside Higher Ed, July 15.

"The Obama Plan," Inside Higher Ed, July 15.

"Should more try for 3-year college degree?," USA Today, July 14.

To see news about the UW System from around the state, visit System’s clip sheet site to read the stories or to subscribe to the daily briefing.

On Wisconsin

The following is a digest of links to critical news and information sources for UWRF employees:

The Wheeler Report.
This is a daily listing of all news stories, editorials and press releases affecting public issues in Wisconsin.

WisPolitics.Com.
State public policy news with a political interpretation.

WisconsinEye News.
Wisconsin’s version of C-Span, with live coverage of the Legislature, with the State Supreme Court and Executive Branch soon to follow.

UW System Board of Regents Audio.
The Regents web cast their monthly meetings held on the first Thursday and Friday of each month.

UWS/UWRF Budget.
A handy index to the UW System executive and legislative advocacy information on our budget proposals, analyses, and maps, charts and graphs to support our positions.

Wisconsin Legislature.
This site contains legislators’ profiles, committees, bill digests, hearing schedules and links to Web casts of floor and committee discussions.

"You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way."

                           - Marvin Minsky

Amphitheatre seating overhaul begins

Amphitheatre photo

The overhaul of the Wall Amphitheatre seating has begun as several maple trees that presented a hazard to users were removed earlier this week. Existing oak trees are preserved. The new seating tiers will be a manufactured stone that will not deteriorate as the existing limestone has. Construction will be completed in August when the establishment of turf will begin. A date for re-opening the facility to the public has not yet been determined. The amphitheatre was constructed in 1972 and is the only amphitheatre in the UW System and one of only a few in the nation. It grew out of a vision for improving the southern part of the campus by Melvin Wall, an agronomist and chair of the plant and earth science department who joined the faculty in 1940. It is said that "A great deal of labor went into the project, much of it during the summer by students who lugged slabs of limestone for the seating circles. Hundreds of students aided by faculty and friends of the University waded in mud to level the area, lay sod and haul dirt." For more information about the amphitheatre, visit http://www.uwrf.edu/buildings/melvin_wall_amphitheatre.htm. Photo by Jens Gunelson.

Announcements

Mandatory training for all who complete I-9 hiring paperwork
Human Resources is providing training on the Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9 form). The training will cover when and how to accurately complete the form. This training will be beneficial to anyone who participates in the hiring process on campus and is required for those who will complete I-9s. Effective Sept. 1, Human Resources will only accept I-9s that have been completed by an employee who has attended I-9 training. In addition, there will be refresher training on work study regulations conducted by Kahty Ripienski. Please contact Sally Fields at ext. 3518 or via e-mail at sally.a.fields@uwrf.edu to register for one of the following training sessions:
Tuesday, Aug. 11, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m., Room 118 WEB; or, Thursday, Aug. 13, 1 -3 p.m., Room 118 WEB.

Listening Sessions set for Classified Staff
Monday, July 20, 10 a.m., Kinnickinnic Theater, UC, or
Tuesday, July 21, 1 p.m., Kinnickinnic Theater, UC.
Chancellor Van Galen will host a series of listening sessions with various campus constituencies this summer and fall. The purpose of these sessions is to gain greater insight into those issues and values members of the UWRF community believe are of greatest importance. Classified staff are invited to attend the first listening session, which will take place Monday, July 20 at 10 a.m. and Tuesday, July 21 at 1 p.m. in the Kinni Theater, UC. Please choose the session that best fits your schedule. We hope you can join us for what we hope will be lively and fruitful discussions. If you have any questions, contact dianne.m.monteith@uwrf.edu or call ext. 3202.
Note to supervisors: Please make sure everyone in your department is aware of these meetings and encourage them to attend. If you would like us to print this information, please contact Dianne.

Open interview meetings
Open interview meetings for campus and community members for the Student Organizations and Greek Life Coordinator position have been scheduled for:
Monday, July 20, 2 - 3 p.m., Eau Galle Room, UC - Matt Levine
Tuesday, July 21, 1 - 2 p.m., 119 WEB - Carrie Benke
Your participation in these open meetings is greatly appreciated. Contact Brenda Landrum at ext. 4444.

Open interview meetings
Open interview meetings for campus and community members for the Sociocultural position in the Division of Student Affairs have been scheduled for:
Monday, July 20, 1:15 - 2 p.m., Wind River Room, UC- Ashley Olson
Friday, July 24, 1:15 - 2 p.m., Wind River Room, UC - Ben Falter
We appreciate your attendance and feedback. Contact Brenda Landrum at ext. 4444.

Upcoming Events

Brass Concert
Friday, July 17, 3:30 p.m., Luther Memorial Church (across from the Fine Arts Building). Please join the students of the River Falls Brass Chamber Music Camp at their final concert as they present a wide variety of music for brass quintet, brass choir, and trumpet, trombone and horn choir. Admission is free, but audience members are requested to bring a food item for the River Falls Food Shelf. The camp, held annually in the middle of July, hosts students who have completed grades 7 through 12 for an intense week-long study of brass playing with a focus on brass chamber music. Visit http://www.uwrf.edu/brass/brass_camp.htm for more information. Contact Andrew Parks at ext. 3177.

Don't Forget

Thursday, July 16

* Open forums for Custodial Services supervisor position: Mark Klapatch, 9:30 a.m. St. Croix Room, UC. Staff, students, and faculty are invited to attend. Contact Nate Beeman at ext. 3349.
* Outdoor grill, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., southside of UC, under overhang near firepit. Fresh off the grill items include hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, cheeseburgers, and Falcon brats. Combo options include a bottled beverage and choice of cookie, bar, chips, or fresh fruit.

eSIS upgrade July 17 - 27
IT Services will be upgrading eSIS from version 8.9 to version 9.0 from 4:30 p.m. Friday, July 17, through 6 a.m. Monday, July 27. During this time, eSIS will be unavailable to campus. We appreciate your understanding for this extended outage. Please check for new feature announcements and information as we communicate them to campus via Falcon Daily over the summer. Contact helpdesk@uwrf.edu or call ext. 4357.

Parking lot closures
S lot -  closed through Friday, July 17  (S lot permit holders utilize P or H lot)
M lot - closed through Friday, July 17 (M lot permit holders utilize I lot)
G lot - Thursday, July 16 (G lot permit holders utilize N lot)
CC lot - Thursday, July 16 (CC permit holders utilize O lot)
O lot (northern most row) - Thursday, July 16
C lot closed Friday, July 17, for church's use. (C lot permit holders utilize Q metered area)

University of Wisconsin - River Falls
410 S. Third Street, River Falls, WI 54022-5001 USA (715) 425-3911
Copyright © 1995-2009 University of Wisconsin-River Falls

[Prev][Message Index][Next]