                 ITS Resources

Helpdesk@uwrf.edu

Support

Service

Facilities

Connections

UWRF This is IT!

Getting Rid of 'Junk' Before We Move

Imagine you have just learned you will be moving to a new house in a couple of months.  It’s a nice big house with lots of room and cool features.  What would you want to bring to your new house?  Everything that you have in your house now?  Or would you want to get rid of the things you don’t use, don’t need, and didn’t even know you had?  Would you bring some things to Goodwill, have a garage sale, or rent a dumpster?

FalconFile will be our new ‘house’ and moving files will begin during J-term, extending through spring semester.  In January, the following areas will move:

  • FalconFS (S), an area used primarily by students
  • Oasis (T), an area for student organization files
  • Courses (P), an area used by faculty for course materials
  • PersonalPages (W), an area used by students and faculty for publishing personal pages to the web

Zeus/Elvis (G) the department and committees areas and Zeus/Elvis (H) the individual files areas will move over the course of spring semester.

It would be great if we won’t have to move and store files that you don’t use, don’t need, and don’t even know you have.  We realize that there are many more pressing items on your to-do list than cleaning your files.  We will make it as easy as we can by providing specific suggestions on how to most efficiently go about this and providing personal assistance if you need it.   Look for information in the coming weeks about the great FalconFile clean-up and visit http://its.uwrf.edu/info-news/FalconFile/welcome.php for more information on FalconFile.

Brought to U by the Student Technology Fee

Since 1995, UWRF students have benefited from expanded access to information technology made possible by a 2% tuition surcharge.  Students at all UW campuses pay this fee.  In 2007-08, the Student Technology Fee is again supporting a number of projects and ongoing services including:

  • Third phase of the campus wireless network
  • Electronic database licenses for the library
  • Plasma television screen for group study room in the library
  • AdobeSuite software licenses for all campus computer labs
  • Purchase of video cameras available to students for check-out
  • Expanded training for HelpDesk student workers
  • Partial support of the Technology Leadership Cadre
  • Xythos file sharing software

As the expense and demand for more and better technology continues to expand, the Student Technology Fee continues to be a critical source for IT funding for UWRF.

Changes in Technology Projects Allocation Process

This year will bring changes in the campus process for allocating funds for technology projects.  In past years, proposals for use of the Student Technology Fee were solicited from members of the campus community.  Review of proposals and recommendations for funding were made by an all student committee and forwarded to the Chancellor.  Requests for project funding through Classroom Mod, Lab Mod and General Computer Access were solicited and then reviewed and acted upon by the Deans and Provost.

Beginning this year, recommendations for all technology projects, regardless of funding source will be made as a part of the new integrated budgeting and planning process.  Units will forward all of their budget requests, including those projects that might have formerly been submitted for Student Technology Fee, Classroom Mod, Lab Mod or General Computer Access to the University Budget Office. Requests for technology projects will then be reviewed and recommended for funding by the new Information and Instructional Technology Council.  The Council, whose membership includes students, faculty, and staff, will make a recommendation as to whether a request should be funded and, if so, identify the source of funds.

This change is being made to better align our funding decisions with the strategic plan of the university and to make decisions in the context of more comprehensive information about the technology environment.

[Prev][Message Index][Next]