Strategic Planning Update

To:  Campus Community

From:  University Planning Group

As you may recall 2006-07 was spent developing the strategic planning goals, initiatives, and tasks, which were approved by the Faculty Senate. This fall Chancellor Betz asked the members of the University Planning Group (UPG) to review the current status of the strategic plan “Living the Promise” and recommend planning priorities for 2007-08 that could be forwarded to the Faculty Senate for review and approval.

The following goals, initiatives, and tasks are being recommended as major priorities for 2007-08. Faculty and staff are encouraged to share their thoughts regarding these recommendations with members of the Faculty Senate and/or members of the UPG. The strategic planning Web site at http://www.uwrf.edu/strategy/ has a list of the UPG membership. This Web site contains important information regarding our planning process and provides detail in the Strategic Planning Grid, which lists the operating paradigm, the 10 goals, the initiatives and tasks for each goal, the suggested task leader(s), the committee that would be responsible for completing the initiatives, and a status report for each initiative.

As we move toward an integrated model of planning, we are working to create a stronger connection between the planning process and the allocation of resources. By selecting a few goals and initiatives as priorities we are better able to channel our resources, both budget and time, to the things that the campus community believes are the most important. This does not mean that we will stop progressing on the other goals.  They will continue to move forward at their own pace.

Recommended Strategic Planning Priorities for 2007-08:

Top Priority:  Operating Paradigm is to Assess Programs and Set Priorities
UWRF will engage in continuous quality improvement and assessment, define its priorities, and use solid information to make future decisions about how to use its resources.
OP 1 - Define institutional priorities.
OP 1.1 - Examine the results of previous strategic planning efforts used to evaluate priorities. Develop a list of resulting common themes and priorities.
OP 1.2 - Determine an appropriate balance between the traditional liberal arts mission and professional programs.
OP 1.3 - Identify populations of learners (current and future) to serve.

OP 2 - Assess all university programs and units in relation to institutional priorities.
OP 2.1 - Generate appropriate criteria for assessing academic programs and units consistent with institutional priorities.
OP 2.2 - Generate appropriate criteria for assessing non-academic programs and units consistent with institutional priorities.
OP 2.3 - Develop processes to coordinate the strategic planning assessment of programs and units with existing assessment mechanisms, as appropriate.

OP 3 - Allocate resources consistent with institutional priorities, and program and unit assessments.
OP 3.1 - Identify resources available to the institution including, but not exclusive to, space, positions, and budget.
OP 3.2 - Investigate allocation models.
OP 3.3 - Recommend a model to be used for allocation of current and future resources.

UWRF will create and implement an integrated marketing strategy.
6.1 – UWRF will create and apply an integrated marketing plan.
6.1.1 - Assess the perceptions that our stakeholders currently hold about our institution and evaluate our position in the marketplace
6.1.2 - Define our unique selling points, target audiences, and key messages.
6.1.3 - Implement and provide continuous support for an effective and consistent branding campaign.

6.2 – UWRF will engage in strategic student recruitment that is compatible with the university’s priorities and objectives.
6.2.1 - Establish a leadership position or office responsible for undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education student recruitment.
6.2.2 - Identify, engage, and enroll students needed to meet university priorities and objectives.
6.2.3 - Develop incentives so that students with high potential and other preferred qualities will enroll at UWRF.

6.3 – UWRF will mobilize support for the institution, its mission and its financial security.
6.3.1 - Develop and leverage an alumni and friends network capable of influencing government and community leaders.
6.3.2 - Develop and implement a comprehensive and ongoing legislative relations strategy.
6.3.3 - Develop and implement a community relation’s strategy that increases perceived value of the university in the region.

UWRF will invest in the present and future quality of the university.

7.1 – Strive to enhance compensation and benefits plans for all UWRF employees.
7.1.1 - Act to reduce salary compression.
7.1.2 - Act to reduce benefits inequalities.
7.1.3 - Develop and implement a new summer and J-Term session salary schedule/model.

7.2 – Review and/or clarify the performance expectations of all UWRF employees.
7.2.1 - Evaluate the workload model currently used to evaluate all teaching and non-teaching staff at UW- River Falls.
7.2.2 - Evaluate and recommend changes in the lab/lecture equivalency model.
7.2.3 - Define workload expectations in light of the UW- System growth agenda.

7.3 – Increase financial support and expand opportunities for continuing faculty and staff professional development.
7.3.1 - Double the number of Sabbaticals awarded on the UW-River Falls campus within five years and review/redefine the criteria for granting the awards.
7.3.2 - Expand opportunities for faculty and staff to attend professional conferences without the need to present papers.
7.3.3 - Increase support for those faculty supervising research, independent study, and internships for students.

[Prev][Message Index][Next]