FalconDaily Archives

[Prev][Message Index][Next]

logo

Wednesday,
Aug. 22, 2007

Now you know

The Custodial Services division of Facilities Management provides cleaning, moving, and general services for approximately 1.3 million square feet of academic building space on the UWRF campus. Nate Beeman and Brad Olson are the supervisors for Custodial Services, Tammy Britt serves as the lead worker, and twenty-five additional staff serve the campus within this division.

During the past year, 24,750 rolls of toilet tissue were purchased and supplied by the department. If these rolls of tissue were rolled out and laid end-to-end, it would measure approximately 2,200 miles in length. This is more than enough tissue to reach from River Falls to Seattle! The tissue that is used is manufactured in Wisconsin using 100 percent recycled fiber content. It is also Environmental Choice “EcoLogo” Certified.

         Falcon Daily:
         recognized for
         excellence by
        Hermes awardComm

Submit an item to Falcon Daily

Subscribe to Falcon Daily

Feedback on Falcon Daily

 Visions and Values Web site.

Strategic Planning Web site.

Academic Affairs:
• Excused class absences
• Class cancellations
• Faculty/staff searches
• Retention, promotion, tenure notices
• Governance committee meetings
• Grants information
• Graduate exams

UWRF home page

UWRF News Source

UWS in the News

"Navigating the Mammoth University," Inside Higher Education, Aug. 22.

"Ellis can take lead on tuition," Editorial, Capital Times, Aug. 17.

"UW Campus Safety," Wisconsin Public Radio, Aug. 20.

"UW should not be partisan issue," Wisconsin State Journal, Aug. 21.

"Taxing:  Who gets to decide?" Wisconsin Taxpayers Alliance, Aug. 10.

To see news about the UW System from around the state, visit System’s clip sheet site to read the stories or to subscribe to the daily briefing.

On Wisconsin

The following is a digest of links to critical news and information sources for UWRF employees:

The Wheeler Report.
This is a daily listing of all news stories, editorials, and press releases affecting public issues in Wisconsin.

WisPolitics.Com
State public policy news with a political interpretation.

WisconsinEye News.
Wisconsin’s version of C-Span, with live coverage of the Legislature, with the State Supreme Court and Executive Branch soon to follow.

UW System Board of Regents Audio.
The Regents web cast their monthly meetings held on the first Thursday and Friday of each month.

UWS/UWRF Budget.
A handy index to the UW System executive and legislative advocacy information on our budget proposals, analyses, and maps, charts and graphs to support our positions.

Wisconsin Legislature.
This site contains legislators’ profiles, committees, bill digests, hearing schedules, and links to Web casts of floor and committee discussions.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

                                                   -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

International offices combine, relocate to Hagestad Hall

Global photo

Over the summer, the international offices on campus combined and relocated to become the Global Connections office. Connie Simpson, office manager, Global Connections; Flossie Hughes, administrative assistant, Wisconsin in Scotland; Katherine Oenga, International Student and Study Abroad adviser, and Brent Greene, director of International Programs, take a break in their new office area in 102 Hagestad Hall, formerly the UWRF Bookstore area. The Office of International Programs has changed its name to Global Connections to reflect its broader institutional mission. Global Connections continues to house Study Abroad, international student services, the Fulbright program and the International Student Association. In addition, it now includes the Wisconsin In Scotland office as well as the Guy Healy Japan transition program. Photo by Jens Gunelson.

Announcements

Dear UWRF Community,
Doug Johnson has agreed to serve as the Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Director of Graduate Studies. Please join me in welcoming Doug to his new role.
Connie Foster
Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs

The UWRF Office of International Programs (OIP) has relocated to 102 Hagestad Hall (formerly the UWRF Bookstore). The office has changed its name to Global Connections. This name more accurately reflects our broader institutional mission to integrate international and global experiences, learning, and attitudes throughout the University. It also reinforces UWRF’s strategic goals and specifically goal #3, to Expand Global Literacy & Engagement. Global Connections continues to house study abroad, international student services, the Fulbright program and the international student association. In addition, it now includes the Wisconsin In Scotland office as well as the Guy Healy Japan transition program. This new space provides critically needed space for these programs and will allow for growth and development as UWRF lives the promise and meets its commitment to educating our students as engaged citizens and leaders with an informed global perspective.
Please stop in anytime and look for an announcement of an open house in early fall semester. Contact Brent Greene at ext. 4891.

The U.S. News & World Report "America's Best Colleges" is available at the Falcon Shop in the UC. Cost is $9.95.

New 12 and 15 passenger van regulations. In order to stay compliant with recent policy changes made by the Department of Administration, the following 12 and 15 passenger van use guidelines are now in effect. Conditions and requirements have changed some since June 1, so please refer to these new guidelines.
*  Travel over a 75 mile radius from UWRF requires use of a mini-van or sedan. No 12 or 15 passenger van travel beyond 75 miles is allowed through UWRF fleet or Enterprise.
*   A training course is required for all 12 and/or 15 passenger travel. This applies to both UWRF fleet vehicles that are 12 and/or 15 passenger in nature and include similar vehicles rented from Enterprise.
*   Facilities Management will arrange training through Chippewa Valley Technical College on a regular basis. Sessions will be provided as needed based on demand. Individuals are encouraged to attend the training closest to their intended travel date due to quarterly and mileage restrictions being applied. Class size is limited to six persons and is five hours in length (time includes both classroom instruction and 30 minutes behind the wheel). Cost for training is $140 per person and is the responsibility of the Department. NOTE:  training is not good for more than a three month period unless certain mileage or hourly conditions are met (generally 400 miles driven quarterly or 10 hours of driving behind the wheel).
We realize the inconvenience these new regulations may present and encourage users to consider seven passenger and sedan travel wherever possible. These regulations are in place in order to maintain our current 15 passenger fleet. We continue to explore alternatives in the meantime and appreciate your patience through this process. Contact michael.j.stifter@uwrf.edu or call ext. 3820.

Guidelines for Faculty-Required Resume Critiques. The Career Services staff are committed to helping UWRF students with all aspects of career planning and preparing for internships and the job market. We greatly appreciate faculty requiring students to come to our office for resume and cover letter critiques. However, given our limited staffing there are times during the academic year when it is difficult for us to meet the demand for multiple class deadlines. In order for us to serve students better and maximize their meetings with Career Services staff, the following guidelines would be helpful:
•  If you are assigning critiques, please let me know your deadlines well in advance. I appreciate any flexibility you have regarding due dates –or other alternatives, such as group critiques.
•  Please have students attend a workshop on resume/cover letter writing or schedule a class presentation in advance of the required critique.
•  Ask that students come to their Career Services appointments with a completed resume and/or cover letter draft.
•  Please send me any specific requirements you have for your resume and cover letter assignments, such as preferred format and/or other elements. Contact carmen .jean.croonquist@uwrf.edu.

To shorten Falcon Daily and to provide only new items each day, announcements are run only once. To re-read previously published announcements of the past two weeks, please visit http://www.uwrf.edu/pa/fd/welcome.php.

Don't Forget

On-campus interviews for the Assistant Director for Hunt-Knowles are this week. We invite you to attend the Open Forum with the following candidates from 11 to 11:45 a.m. in the UC:
Eric Loomis, Wednesday, Aug. 22, Mississippi Room;
Kevin Bullis, Thursday, Aug. 23, St. Croix Room.
A brief description of the candidate's experience will be available at the Open Forum. Contact Michael Stifter, recruitment chair, at ext. 3820 or michael.j.stifter@uwrf.edu.

ITS will be testing FalconFile the evenings of Wednesday, Aug. 22, and Friday, Aug. 24. This testing creates the potential for an outage of all IT services and applications (including wireless), starting at 5 p.m. both nights. Services and applications are expected to be available by 7 a.m. the following mornings. Please plan accordingly and contact falconfile@uwrf.edu with any concerns.

Opening Day is Monday, Aug. 27. Many events have been planned to launch the year. Join Chancellor Betz for a hospitality hour on the campus mall in front of the UC at 8:30 a.m. with the opening meeting and lunch to follow in the UC. Visit http://www.uwrf.edu/administration/openingweek/welcome.htm for a list of events.

[Prev][Message Index][Next]